Do you have a specific report that you need to run every day, week, or month? Would you like to be able to schedule reports to run automatically and be emailed to a list of recipients? If so, Express Software Manager has a tool called ReportRunner that can do precisely that.
Using ReportRunner, you can schedule an Express report, such as the Am I Compliant report, to be generated automatically, at specified intervals, and e-mailed to yourself, your manager, or anyone else you choose.
ReportRunner, is a command line application included with Express Software Manager that allows you to generate reports. As such, you can create a batch file and set up your Windows Scheduler to run the batch file at a scheduled time, generating your report and e-mailing it automatically as either a PDF or an Excel file.
The ReportRunner executable, reportrunner.exe, is installed on the computer where you installed the Express Administrative Console. It can be found in one of the following locations:
- On 32-bit systems: \Program Files\Express Metrix\Administrative Console\Report Runner
- On 64-bit systems: \Program Files (x86)\Express Metrix\Administrative Console\Report Runner
The overall process for setting up and running ReportRunner is as follows:
1. First, check to see if the report you want to generate is one that is compatible with the ReportRunner utility (not all Express reports are compatible). You can get the list of compatible reports from the Reports Console Help Guide. Open the Reports Console Help Guide by logging in to your Express Reports Console and then clicking on the “?” Help icon. Once in the Reports Console Help Guide, go to Help Navigation and search for the topic “Reports you can run with the ReportRunner application.”
2. If you want to apply filtering to the report you will be running, you will need to create the filter in advance within the Reports Console Filters tab.
3. Setup your email server. To do this, you’ll need to edit a configuration file that is installed on the Express Software Manager Reports server in the following default location: C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\esmweb\esmreports\Reports\_Definitions\_Settings.lgx
For more information on the Express ReportRunner, please search the Reports Console Help Guide for the topic “Configuring email services for Express Software Manager reports.”
4. Finally, create the command syntax to load your filter (loadfilter) and specify the report you want to run (runreport). For additional help on command parameters, please search the Reports Console Help Guide for the topic “Scheduling and emailing reports using ReportRunner.”