As a technical support rep, I get this question easily a couple of times a week. And the answer is an emphatic “Yes!”
You can schedule most reports found within Express Software Manager to be generated automatically (at specified intervals) and emailed to anyone within your organization.
ReportRunner is a command line application that utilizes a batch file you create to schedule reports.
The ReportRunner executable, reportrunner.exe, is installed on the computer where you installed the Express Administrative Console. It can be found in one of the following locations:
- On 32-bit systems: \Program Files\Express Metrix\Administrative Console\Report Runner
- On 64-bit systems: \Program Files (x86)\Express Metrix\Administrative Console\Report Runner
Here’s what you need to do:
1. First, verify that the report(s) you want to generate is compatible with the ReportRunner utility (not all Express reports are compatible). You can get the list of compatible reports from the Reports Console Help Guide. Log in to your Express Reports Console, and click on the “?” Help icon. Go to Help Navigation and search on the phrase “Reports you can run with the ReportRunner application.”
2. To apply a filter to the report, create the filter within the Reports Console Filters tab.
3. Set up your email server. To do this, you’ll need to edit a configuration file that is installed on the Express Software Manager Reports server in the following default location: C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\esmweb\esmreports\Reports\_Definitions\_Settings.lgx. For more information on this, search the Reports Console Help Guide for the topic “Configuring email services for Express Software Manager reports.”
4. Finally, create the command syntax to load your filter (loadfilter) and specify the report you want to run (runreport). For more help on command parameters, search the Reports Console Help Guide for the topic “Scheduling and emailing reports using ReportRunner.”