Cherwell Maintains Its Challenger Position in Gartner 2020 Magic Quadrant for IT Service Management (ITSM) Tools
Posted by on October 09, 2020
Kari Nelson's background and expertise has focused on numerous digital transformation technologies, including servers, storage, networking, professional services, software, virtualization, and ITaaS. Prior to joining Cherwell Software, Kari spent over 15 years with Hewlett Packard Enterprise.
Cherwell Software is proud to be positioned as a Challenger in the 2020 Gartner Magic Quadrant for IT Service Management (ITSM) Tools, thanks to its ITSM product, Cherwell Service Management. Cherwell was selected among the 10 key vendors to be mentioned in the Magic Quadrant report.
Gartner defines the Challenger’s quadrant as “vendors that have executed well, growing market revenue, and improve ITSM products and overall viability levels enough to participate in the general-purpose market with competitive products.”
“We are pleased to be acknowledged as a Challenger, and for all the other affirmation we've received by other analyst reports this year," said Scott Gainey, CMO at Cherwell. "We see it as a reflection of our ability to be nimble and will continue to focus on creating solutions that enable customer success and propel our customers to achieve their goals."
As well as being a Challenger in the 2020 Gartner Magic Quadrant, Cherwell ranks highly in a user-based evaluation of top ITSM tools by Info-Tech Research Group and was awarded a Gold Medal for the 2020 IT Service Management (ITSM) Data Quadrant Awards by Software Reviews. As well, Cherwell was praised in the Forrester Enterprise Service Management (ESM) Buying Guide, 2020 as one of three service management vendors that offer advanced ITSM and ESM functionality.
Cherwell empowers organizations in the United States, Europe, Australia, and other global companies by helping them operate more efficiently as they pursue digital transformation.
Download a copy of the 2020 Gartner Magic Quadrant for ITSM Tools
Get Info-Tech’s 2020 Comparison of 16 ITSM Tools
Read Forrester’s Enterprise Service Management (ESM) Buying Guide, 2020
What Has Cherwell Improved Since the Gartner 2019 Magic Quadrant?
This is not Cherwell’s first entry as a Challenger in the Gartner Magic Quadrant. Since the last evaluation, Cherwell has devoted attention to refinements in the following areas:
- Omni-Channel Access — Slack integration allows end-users to create incidents, receive updates, and close incidents directly from the channel-based messaging platform.
- Platform Intelligence — New artificial intelligence (AI) features such as sentiment analysis, a natural-language-driven virtual agent, and contextual related item navigation advance Cherwell’s analytics-driven platform with enriched and accelerated incident resolution.
- Smart Collaboration and Self-Service — Connects the right people and resources to each new incident and enables seamless hand-off from self-service to team-driven resolution.
What Are the Capabilities of Cherwell Software?
All within one license, you receive 11 ITIL processes; 100+ integrations; performance analytics; cloud management; and solutions to support HR, facilities, security, external customer support processes, and more.
Some of the stand-out features of Cherwell Software include the following:
- Concurrent Licensing — Cherwell’s licensing model enables any authorized user to access the software as long as the maximum number of simultaneous users does not exceed the total number of licenses purchased. Plus, this model doesn’t require additional licenses for approvers, requesters, portal users, report viewers, or monitors that display reports.
- Flexible Deployment — With Cherwell, you can deploy via cloud services, on-premises, hosted by third parties, or a combination of these options. This flexibility means you can choose the approach that best meets your needs, whether it’s improving operational and cost efficiencies, or strict adherence to internal, governmental, or regulatory mandates.
- Low-Code Platform — Cherwell’s no-code platform, with its visual editor and automation capabilities, empowers your staff to take charge when it comes to building and delivering applications and innovations quickly and without errors inherent when modifying proprietary code.
- Platform Intelligence — Cherwell’s software can act as a data broker. It enables integrations, for example with PowerBI and Tableau, and generates reports from any data source—all with no additional licensing cost.
- Extensible Platform — Cherwell’s platform integrates with third-party applications and enables you to automate workflows for a variety of business processes, reducing the risk of human error and improving productivity for both service staff and employees. Cherwell integrations and community-driven extensions are available from the Cherwell Marketplace.
Download a copy of the 2020 Gartner Magic Quadrant for ITSM Tools.
Cherwell Responds to Gartner 2020 Magic Quadrant for ITSM Tools
The 2020 Gartner Magic Quadrant for ITSM Tools analyzes the market for enterprise ITSM tools that help infrastructure and operations (I&O) leaders like you make better decisions. And better decisions lead to ITSM tools that align with current and future roadmaps.
The Magic Quadrant’s four quadrants represent Leaders, Challengers, Visionaries, and Niche Players. Its vertical axis illustrates a company’s ability to execute, while its horizontal axis showcases completeness of vision.
Download a copy of the 2020 Gartner Magic Quadrant for ITSM Tools.
For years, the Gartner Magic Quadrant for ITSM Tools has focused on core ITSM and closely related IT operations management (ITOM) technology. While Cherwell continues to be a key player in that space, we have also assumed a influential role in a critical emerging trend: Industries are evolving pure ITIL-based forms of ITSM into a new class of solutions that focus broadly on efficiency, productivity, agility, innovation, and business results across the enterprise.
According to "ESM: ITSEM (r)evolution," ITSM organizations offer services to an average of seven non-IT areas. Read the report here.
For this reason, Cherwell has become a pioneer in extending ITSM to non-IT areas such as human resources, cybersecurity, logistics, facilities, finance and accounting, training, DevOps, and customer service management. Leveraging a common service management platform such as Cherwell CORE, enables organizations to provide a framework for a wide variety of service management challenges in addition to IT support.
No-code workflow development enables fast and efficient configuration of these solutions, while the common platform ensures rapid integration among the various solutions and with back-end systems and external data sources. This unified approach also makes it easier to support cross-functional service management processes, build on existing workflows when introducing a new process, and address challenges with a familiar and satisfying employee experience.
“Cherwell plans to grow in its pioneering position by focusing on the broader ESM needs of our customers and prospects,” Gainey said. “Our customers are determined to improve their IT efficiency, transform the day-to-day experiences of their employees and customers, and deliver business results through IT. These initiatives will continue to guide us forward.”
Download a copy of the Gartner Magic Quadrant report.
Gartner, Magic Quadrant for IT Service Management Tools, Rich Doheny, Chris Matchett, Siddharth Shettym, October 6, 2020
Ebook 5 min
The Definitive Guide to Service Desk KPIs and Metrics
In this comprehensive guide, you'll learn how to develop a portfolio of ITSM KPIs and Metrics that support not only your own IT team's goals, but also the business outcomes your service desk is expected to deliver.
Ebook 7 min
7 Deadly Sins of ITIL Implementation
Wondering whether ITIL® is still relevant in today's fast-paced digital environment? ITIL holds many timeless truths, but it can be misapplied when taken too literally. Uncover the seven mistakes commonly made with ITIL implementations, and gain guidance on how you can go faster—while still upholding ITIL's key principles.
Analyst Research 10 min
NEW! Gartner 2020 Magic Quadrant for ITSM Tools
Considering a new ITSM solution? Start with a complimentary copy of Gartner’s 2020 Magic Quadrant for IT Service Management Tools. The Magic Quadrant provides an evaluation of ten ITSM vendors—along with their viability, strengths, and cautions—and recommendations for defining your requirements
You might also be interested in
What Is an IT Help Desk? Plus, How to Avoid Common Implementation Mistakes
Get insights into the critical functions the IT help desk performs, along with how to avoid all-too-common implementation mishaps.
Blog 10 min
ITIL Service Desk Responsibilities
Implementing an ITIL service desk can be intimidating when you first get started. Try these strategies.
Blog 10 min
What Are the Primary ITIL Major Incident Management Roles and Responsibilities?
ITIL Major Incident Management is one of the most important sub-processes of Incident Management. Find out more about what's involved.